North Devon

Getting back to Torquay from Dartmouth, seemed to take forever. Late afternoon traffic and school children going home slightly impeded our otherwise serene trip. I must admit the traffic in general was well behaved, they are more considerate in Devon. Dorset is every man for himself. Torquay to me is a half empty and dispirited, neglected and taken for granted. 
Anyway back to the hotel and we enjoyed a much needed drink and downloaded all the photos we had taken from the start of our trip. Looking through them it struck me that most places do one of three things for me. They make me happy, sad or indifferent. Seaton left me sad, Sidmouth, happy, thriving little town with a busy high street. People actually live there. Torquay left me quite indifferent. 
Back to our amazing dinner, again not disappointed. I had salmon and Susan had steak, both perfectly cooked and well seasoned. Overheard the woman at the table behind us making a phone call to her house sitter.

'Hi, just calling to find out if the tortoises have gone to bed ok?' 
Says it all really.
The next morning we set off to Woolacombe, North Devon. Easy trip up the M4 and on to Barnstaple. 
Bradshaw’s Railway Handbook of 1861 says of Branstaple: 
’This seaside port town is situated on the river Taw, which is crossed by a bridge of 16 arches. The principal manufacturers are baise and woollens but also trades in bobbin net, pottery, tanning and shipbuilding. Market day is Wednesday.’
We stopped at the tourist information office, for advice on where to stay. These tourist information office are little gems, full of all types of information and very helpful. If needs be they will book your accommodation and give you all the interesting places to go to in the area. I suppose that is what they are there for but refreshing helpful, none the less. 

All for now but I will finish this trip off in my next blog.

Comments