Church Knowles

Sunday afternoon and the heat forced us to the beach early morning and just after noon, really just to cool off. I am in the garden enjoying a refreshing craft beer. Old Golden Hen, for those in the know. Gary, Robert and Michael will appreciate this fine ale. After an early morning swim at the beach with Jenson, we took ourselves off to Church Knowles Food Fair. Church Knowles is about 3 miles from Corfe Castle and they hold and annual food fair in a farmers field, just before you actually get to Church Knowles. 
The normal stalls were there, Dorset Cider, Hog Roast and a few more we have seen before. All worth a visit, but there were some others we have not seen before. Susan found a lady selling small tarts. No sugar, gluten free and vegetarian. After a small taster she was hooked and we dutifully paid £ 3 for one to snack on, as we walked around the fair. One thing that did bother me, I did not say so at the time, lovely lady selling them. But she did say she only uses natural products, such as dates, raisins and maple syrup. Yep, you spotted it as well, maple syrup, does it not contain sugar?
Moving on to the next interesting stall and low and behold it was James, the cheese man. All his cheeses were wrapped in his own paper and beautifully labelled 'James Cheese'. 
After quite a few tasters I settled on a Little Colonel, soft, mild cheese reminisce of a Camembert. Susan did point to the smoked cheddar, but I ignored all her suggestions and made my purchase, in the knowledge that it was pure cheese and if I wanted too I could add a smoky note with some smoked BBQ sauce. By now Susan was threatening to spend a fortune and had left her hand bag in the car. Moving on rapidly we bought ourselves a breakfast wrap and then an excellent coffee from Liberty Love's deli stall. I must commend her on her choice of coffee beans, really good balanced, strong coffee, just like I like it. Not really interested in the deli side as it was mainly muffins with a variety of ingredients. Watercress, pistachio and cheese to name just one. Do not get me wrong, if you into muffins, then there was a muffins for every occasion. 
While waiting for our coffee, I was alarmed to see Susan deep in conversation with a man in the next stall selling chilli chutney, chilli oils, chilli chocolate, chilli biscotti and chilli coffee. Thankfully the coffee arrived and thrusting her Cappucino into her hand I enticed her onwards and upwards. Suddenly the amount of stalls left was becoming a minefield of financial ruin. 
Thankfully the goats meat stall held little interest to her and it was only the natural sea salt stall, harvested from Lulworth bay, that briefly caught her attention before we decided it was a good idea to head home, pickup JB and head for the beach. I did manage to pickup a Dorset Sausage roll on my way out, bargain at £2.25. Will have it with my dinner.
Talking of dinner, we are having a traditional home dinner, left overs, hot buns and a fresh salad. I also need to make some inroads to the big jar of Branksome pickle Susan bought for Gary, child only had a tea spoonful and has now left the rest for me to finish. Oh well, should go nicely with the Little Colonel and the sausage roll.

Comments