Thomas Hardy

 
'The business of the poet and the novelist is to show the sorriness underlying the grandest things and the grandeur underlying the sorriest things.' Thomas Hardy explaining why writers write. Now, I am not comparing myself with master writer, but the principle is the same. 
Moving on. Claudia will be pleased to know that Caffe Nero is a Italian coffee company. Well that is what it says on the saucer and who am I to doubt anything written on a saucer. Actually, we cannot be too careful when it comes to the Italians. Gary has waxed very poetically on the ways of the Italians in the smaller villages. With Italian family, he found paying for a meal or a coffee proved to be close to impossible. Sounds perfect, but with the mafia there is always a price to pay. I hope he checked his luggage before boarding the plane home. 

A good friend of mine has bought a house in Tuscony, close to the sea and also, not to far from the ski resort. It seems when you buy a house there you meet up and pay the money and get given the keys. Simple and effective with only an estate agent present. Also the estate agent helps you get you utilities connected and will give you support for a year. Obviously the normal Italian does not consider his humble house a castle, not like the average Brit. Now there is a nightmare, make an offer, wait to see if it is accepted. You do not know what the other offers are and from then on it is a guessing game. 

Susan is looking into schools again, my thoughts wonder to dark places, is there something she is not telling me? I hope in the fullness of time she will confided in me and we can move on from there. I do expect it has something to do with grandchildren, too old to have anymore children myself but the thought of doing the daily school run again does get me a little excited. The joys of braving young mothers in there quest for little Johnny to be the best and is always on time, does fill me with the challenge of a good contest. I have many years experience and all their naivety gives me a definite advantage. My record speaks for itself, I did get Robert to school on time, he was partially dress and grumpy but the battle was won. 

Let us surmise that it is Lilly, lost in that small country, where the pre request for getting into university is being able to surf? Let her be part of the masters, the classic and become a well educated superstar. Ballet, music and the masters will take her to Cambridge or Oxford, fill filling her mothers dream of becoming a world renowned star. I must point out that she is still quite young and I do not expect to be around when that happens but knowing I had a small part to play, drives me on, passport or not. Bring it on, let the challenge begin. Remember Angela, you are and always will be my most loved daughter.

Comments