Christmas, angels and ghosts


It is at this time of the year that we miss all those we take for granted all year long. Those far away, those who we have not spoken to, for too long. 
The days are cold, when the nights are long. I wandered about you, those days that I thought, out the corner of my eye, I had seen you standing near. I feel you here but my blindness is confusing and shows that you're not. I feel I'm growing older and the songs that I have sung are now an echo in the breeze. Like the sound of a non existent windmill rattling in the storm. 
No one truly dies until everyone on earth forgets them. It is at this time of the year we remember those who are not with us. Merry Christmas Granny June, Samuel, Baxter and Jess. You are not forgotten. 

Last Sunday at a carol service in Canford Magna, we sang along happily to all those well known carols which we hear faintly in the background all day. Makes them real and we take a little ownership of the words and the spirit of Christmas.

Susan wrapped all the presents in brown paper, challenging, no cello tape, not in expensive, non recyclables Christmas paper. Jenson looked on with that understanding that only a dog can have when someone pushes the boat and it does take two days to do the wrapping. In all fairness the Middle Smiths are here, so the volume of presents has trebled. Our biggest problem was what to give Alex. We had already bought eight presents but felt two was enough, definitely one of the most difficult decision since the Brexit vote.

Tomorrow we go to the Middle Smiths and extended family from Claudia’s side. Christmas roasts of such splendour and Christmas pudding to take your breath away. Merry Christmas to all those 532 people who have read my blog over the year. Thank you for all those comments and although some are not published, you know the reason why. 


Comments