The Chronicle


Gary has managed to save some of my old Chronicles. I look forward to reading them, echos from the past, glimpses of life in St Michaels. That was really the second part of our journey which began in Swaziland. A factory born out of a dream to manufacture and sell a product that was truly ours. We embraced the sea, a short walk from our house and ran with the wind most days. We finally left for the UK, leaving what seemed like an ideal life to start again.
Reality was quite different and under the surface lies a darkness to this beautiful part of the world we tend to forget.

I have decided to create an online book of all the issues of The Chronicle. Also print a few as a physical presents, making the whole journey something of a tangible nature. Also a reminder of my mother, who always enjoyed them so much. Sadly her life was ended by the savageness and brutality of the countrymen she loved so much. 

Just started reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, read this book many years ago and as I start it again it holds the same magic. Brilliant book and worth a read. Talking of books, I started reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Now this is not one of those books I would want to read any further. Being a classic does not diminish the darkness and violence of this novel and I advise caution, as this is a very disturbing work of fiction. I almost think it has to be based on something nasty the author experienced in his life time.

Just to keep you in the loop with the weather, it is now moving in keeping with the time of the year. We start the day with clear skies but the temperature never really wanted to go higher than 2°. Michael will find it very cold coming from the Australian summer. Gary and Dan have been seen less and less out on the road with their push bikes.

First chapter on the oldest Chronicle I have, 31.08 1993. Printed on the first Dot Matrix printer we bought. Thanks Gary for bringing them over.


Comments

Post a Comment