Typewriters


Quite a few people might not know this but I started my working life as a typewriter technician. Yep I repaired typewriters. Well, to start just clean and serviced them. Later on, once I had done the courses, I did fix a few. I mention this because I have just heard a news talk on the popularity of old typewriters.
 

Tom Hanks  has a collection of over 100 and liken typing on these old machine to works of art. 
As you can see I am typing on one at the moment, just makes it seem more personal. 

Talking about news items, this one really interested me.
Ngisti wakes to what is one of the most challenging days she will have to face in her lifetime. She gave birth to her son 40 days ago and now her belief dictates she must baptise him. The problem is that the church is on the top of the mountain and to get there it is a climb of 400m up a sheer cliff. Difficult at the best of times but with your baby strapped to your back, it is a very dangerous climb. 

In Ethiopia, belief in a higher power leads villagers in the Tigray region to climb a huge mountainside to reach their church. They believe it's vital and beneficial for their children to be baptised here, despite the obvious dangers. Just 40 days after giving birth, Ngisti must climb 400 metres to have her new son, Dawit baptised.
It is a BBC documentary and really worth a watch. they also showed how they positioned their cameras to film the climb by the mother and her extended family.

On another note, it seems as if the traditional burger night has seen the last burger served. A tradition that started when Angela was about as old as Lilly is now. Must be over 25 years now. Change is inevitably, new minds, new tastes, new traditions will be born. Will let you known what we do this Friday. Michael suggested Pizza, Susan seemed to like the idea of a pub dinner and Gary was interested in trying a pub in Wimborne. This is one of those times I will go with what is decided by the majority, for now, let democracy have its way but I do fear it might all end in tears. Sometimes changes are for the good and other times they akin to a chocolate teapot.

Comments