Pokarekare Ana

Did some research on where this song came from and this is an interesting tale.

"Pokarekare Ana" is a traditional New Zealand love song, probably composed in 1914. The song is written by Paraire Tomoana in Māori and was later translated into English.
This love song arose in Northland at the start of World War One, was sung at an army camp at Auckland, then taken to the East Cape, where it was modified into an action song telling of Paraire Tomoana's 1912 courtship of Kuini Raerena.

Paraire Tomoana was a Māori political leader, journalist, historian, sportsman and lyricist. Not sure where he was born but the thinking is it was either in Waipatu near Hastings, Being the son of Henare Tomoana, the principal chief of the Heretaunga region. He was educated at Te Aute College and was a member of the Young Māori Part.

Despite having a club foot, Tomoana was slightly disabled, having a club foot but went on to become a good sportsman, excelling in tennis, rugby, cricket, and golf. He also coached several sports teams from Te Aute College. Actually went on international tours with those sports teams. 

Anyway you want to know what this has to do with the song Pokarekare Ana. After divorcing his first wife he began courting Kuini Ripeka Raerena. The song came about from a poem he sent her, she later became his wife. The courtship was the subject of Tomoana's lyrical composition Pokarekare Ana. 



Pōkarekare ana, ngā wai o Waiapu
Whiti atu koe hine, marino ana e.

E hine e, hoki mai ra.
Ka mate ahau I te aroha e.

Tuhituhi taku reta, tuku atu taku rīngi,
Kia kite tō iwi raru raru ana e.

Whati whati taku pene ka pau aku pepa
Ko taku aroha mau tonu ana e.

E kore te aroha e maroke i te rā
Mākūkū tonu i aku roimata e.

It does translate into a very moving poem.

They are agitated,
 the waters of Waiapu, but when you cross over girl, 
they will be calm.



Oh girl, 
return to me,
 I could die
 of love for you.

 I have written my letter,
 I have sent my ring,
 so that your people can see 
that I am troubled.

 My poor pen is shattered,
 I have no more paper,
 but my love 
is still steadfast.



 My love will never 
be dried by the sun, 
it will be forever moistened
 by my tears. 
The tide surges onto the seashore and my heart throbs. Alas bring back your love for me.



Hayley singing God save New Zealand is one of my favourites.

Comments

Post a Comment