Christmas and its Challenges


Everyone in my family always wants to go for a walk and a little sightseeing, but what they really want is a pub lunch. I like taking a delightful stroll around the old buildings.

Changing the subject, you do recall I was bitten by a dog on the beach a while ago. Well a Braque type of dog, a gun dog came out of nowhere and attacked Jenson. I normally let them have a small tussle and then call Jenson away, not this time.  I decided to intervene when Jenson had the dog by the ear and was trying very hard to dislodge it from the stupid dogs head. Grabbed his collar and the other dog bit me, flesh wound but then the owner arrived and grabbed his dog by the collar giving Jenson a lovely chance to bite back, unfortunately, the owner's hand.   
This was I fear a little worse as I did think I heard something crack. Anyway, after giving them an earful on how to bring up a dog and not to ever come back to this beach, I washed my hand off in the sea and realised it was quite deep. Time to head home for a plaster. Just had to call Jenson who was playing with a border collie, he had already completely forgotten about the minor scrap. I must say the owner was holding his hand very gently and the dog would need some attention to its ear. Jenson seemed unharmed and unfazed by the whole experience.
What I wanted to say was that my hand is all healed now and we are enjoying our walks on the beach again. Driving home after the beach incident I was listening to Don Giovanni on Classic FM , the second act the main character is set to live in eternity in the depth of hell. For some reason, I find that opera strangely comforting.

Talking of productions, we went to a whimsical version of Debbie Isitt, Nativity Play. Performed by the reception class of St Michaels school with Alexander Smith taking the lead role of Joseph and a rather cute Mary at his side. Lasting 30 minutes and thoroughly entertaining. Alexander has a flair for the stage and his natural talent shone through. I did see a small tear of pride from his otherwise stern father. I did notice that some of those in the chorus were a little lost, had that vacant stare as if it was all too much for them, but then in all fairness, looking at their parents taking endless amount of photos, they also seem as if the light had not yet come on and at their age, it never will.

Christmas has a way of inspiring reflection. Susan makes me think and feel. This Christmas we are having a rather full house. The Middle Smith, 5 in total, although some are more of a challenge than others. The Dickens from Down under, again 5 in total and as I have not seen them for many years, I can only go on what I have been told, they can seem like a crowd. Then there is Robert, sometimes larger than life. Michael and Kate make up the last of our family who will be here over the Christmas festivities. 

We have put up a special curtain in the bedroom for Kate, she has a thing about windows and bedrooms? If you count Susan, Jenson and of course me, then you have a nice round 16 bodies for Christmas. The logistics of putting this Christmas together are not to be trifled with. I was just saying to Susan the other day, after checking in the bathroom upstairs and the loo downstairs we only had 11 rolls of loo paper. What happens if we get unexpected guests and we run out, that could be a problem we do not want to encounter. 
At the time of my announcement, Susan was listening to the end of that great song, Send In the Clowns, which I felt was quite appropriate given our lack of hygiene provision for our guests. The song immediately went into Take that Look off your Face, which is exactly the look Susan was giving me. I can see a trip to Aldi to buy a pack of 24 extra soft, coconut-scented rolls in the offering.

I am sure the whole festive season will be over before we know it. With that in mind, I am about to embark on a celebration of the run-up to Christmas and will enjoy all the preparations, as on the day it just is a blur of giving and eating. I have 34 bottles of the finest Californian wine stored safely in my cellar, never know how much will be consumed on the days before and during this time of year. 
I do hope this Christmas does not pass in a soggier of more drinks and the horror of board games. I seem to recall some singing ‘If you tolerate this (then your children will be next)’ by the so-called manic street preachers ending last years festivities. I do find after completing an especially arduous task, I allow my reticence to thaw over a double espresso. 

Comments

Post a Comment