The day before Christmas


Maybe one of the best days of the year. All the expectations and dreams are about to come true. The magic of Christmas will be with us tomorrow, not a day too soon for young Alex, as for me I would like this day to have a few more hours in it. Time to savour the joy of family and friends, last-minute shopping with the other 40 million adults looking for that gift they forgot to buy or have just decided that would be the ideal gift for that someone special, some like me I suppose.

The Middle Smiths are leaving for London tomorrow, we will miss them this Christmas. I do not envy them as the roads are going to be busy, long delays expected. They will be very excited to see the Canosa family from the Southern tip of Africa. Yes, the awesome Bruno and the Lady Pricella have come over for the festive season and are staying on Olivia's couch.

I have wrapped all the presents I needed to and now it is just Susan’s turn. She did get through quite a few last nights and the tree is looking quite crowded and very inviting. This is something we should do at the end of November when we put the tree up, gifts under the tree and then we can just enjoy the fabulous Christmas Movies and every now and again wonder who that rather strange-shaped present at the back of the tree is for. You probably have realised by now that Christmas is my assolutamento favourite time of the year, it always makes me think I am part of something bigger.

Now to turn my mind to what we will be eating on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Firstly Christmas Eve; antipasto is always a great way to start the evening meal. Not only does it satisfy the initial food cravings but also dilutes the alcohol which is being consumed as if there is no tomorrow. Talk about living in the moment. Lamb is always a favourite, with carrots, roast potatoes and a tray of Mediterranean roast vegetables should top it off. Gammon and Pigs in Blankets. Sorry for those not in a first world country, it is not a pig we have put in a blanket but a pork sausage wrapped in bacon. 

Merry Christmas for tomorrow and I hope the New Year has as much promise for you as it has for us.

Comments