Life is the art of drawing without a rubber

I was in my garage and noticed a bottle of Trivento Reserve Malbec in my wine cupboard. The name intrigued me and after some research found that Trivento means three winds. 
The Polar, Zonda and Sudestada winds blow across the sunny and arid land of Mendoza. Each agitating seasonal wind pierces the intimate calm of Mendoza, Argentina, leaving their mark in the wines. 
Too much of a mark I would say.

Their website states: At the company, we have a dream: to build the TRIVENTO brand into a symbol of premium Argentine wine around the world

I have had a bottle or two of Trivento and they still have a way to go to be able to say they have a drinkable wine. Now some New Zealand, Australian and South African wines are worth drinking but I do find these are quite pricey. I know they say a £ 5.00 bottle is nowhere near as good as a £10.00. I disagree, the difference is not worth the cost and if you are clever you buy a few cases when Tesco has their 25% off deal. To me it is all about taste, that is the main criterion, forget the bouquet or nose, just marketing tools to get you to buy them.

Ashbrook Estate Shiraz (£ 6.00 on special) is one of the quietest and highest achievers in Margaret River, Australia and comes a good second to Cloudy Bay Marlborough Pinot Noir (£ 6.00 on special). I must admit to being a bit of a snob, Blossom Hill Red is the wine I drink. A spokesperson from the Blossom Hill Estate said to me;

Our classic Blossom Hill Soft & Fruity Red is velvety soft and very fruity. And like all our Classic range wines, it's loved by the nation. So if you choose to drink a great red wine, whatever the occasion, this is the red wine we'd be choosing for you.
Our winemaker Carol Thorup passionately believed that wine should be enjoyed not debated. Complex terminology and vintages were drowning out what mattered most – taste! 

I do find that when we have the children and grandchildren around for a meal, my stock of Blossom Hill diminishes quite noticeable, The Middle Smiths, Michael, Angela and Matthew have all made inroads into my stock. I have introduced their taste buds to this unique, soft, red wine that you can drink on all occasions. 

For those winemakers out there, striving to create good, easy-drinking wine, take note of what the spokesman for Blossom Hill wines said and remember, once you have opened a bottle of wine and had you first taste, that can not be undone, Just as life is the art of drawing without a rubber, so it is true of wines.

Comments