We play in the Shadows of Giants

The day after a holiday can be a bit of a challenge for those going to work, Susan has had about 10 days off but left this morning without so much as a passing comment. On those mornings that she really wants to be going somewhere else, she tends to say. ‘I am going to my place of work.’ Must have been looking forward to seeing all her friends and colleges.

News from the garden, actually a vegetable garden. I call it that because the majority of plants are edible, I know that is a big word but it just means you can eat them, which we do. We have a wide selection of fresh herbs and a chilli bush for our spice. Two good tomato plants and a huge courgette plant that has yellow, baby courgettes. Young Alex Smith has been known to give them a good watering every time he is here, hopefully teaching him the value of homegrown vegetable. On the fruit side, we have strawberries and passion fruit, both taste good picked from the plant. Our potatoes are all finished now, we did get about 60 good size potatoes from the 5 potatoes I originally planted. Spinach is in abundance and lettuce is one of those plants that just keep on giving. That about rounds up the news from the garden.

We play in the Shadows of Giants turned to Stone. Behind Green-hills, where two can be alone. Light flutters like the moon on the surface of the water, the sun has had nothing on a farmer's daughter.  (Unknown start to a poem, I would like to find) To me, it tells the story of someone who was special and has since passed away. That would explain ‘giants turned to stone’ Let me know if you come across this poem in all your armchair travels.

I have just finished my office conversion, well I say I, it was actually Gary and, Michael who did most of the work. One lesson we learnt was measure twice and cut once, we did fall into the trap of hastily measuring once and cutting twice! I blame Michael, lack of experience. My thanks for all the help and advice from everyone who contributed. Most suggestions were very useful but a few were, dare I say it, just plain stupid, thanks anyway. 

Talking of work, Bruno the Great has embarked on a new venture, yep the giant is back at work making tables. I am surprised at his cavalier attitude when finishing off the tables. He is not fond of painting so has devised a plan to just give the tabletop one thin coat of paint, calling it distressed. To tell you the truth, he finished his first table and gave it the first coat of paint and realised he had no more paint when wanting to apply his second coat. Well, you can imagine how distressed the great man was. Pricilla, Queen of the Desert and also his practical wife took one look and said, ‘Call it distressed white.’ or so the story goes. Now he is selling a new fashionable trend of distressed table colours. The man is a genius.




Comments